In this 3-5 day Algebra 1 Project on Linear Relationships, students will use linear relationships to help them plan a vacation within a budget including the flight, the hotel and rental car expenses. Students will represent linear relationships with equations, tables and graphs.
Standards: CCSS (F.LE.2) and TEKS (A.3C, A.2C, A.2H)
Students are writers for a popular travel blog, Pack Your Bags. The marketing director of Travelite, a company that sells luggage and travel accessories, has contacted them and wants to provide a sponsored trip in exchange for promotion of their products on the blog. Students will use linear relationships to help them plan a vacation within a $1,500 budget including the flight, the hotel and rental car expenses. Students will represent linear relationships with equations, tables and graphs.
This linear relationships real-world project is intended to provide engaging opportunities for extension and application of skills. It can serve as an assessment of students’ understanding while encouraging inquiry and critical thinking among students. This project is flexible in nature and includes teaching slides, warm-ups, exit tickets, student recording sheets and a project overview to help you structure class time and implement project components as smoothly as possible.
What is included in THIS Linear Relationships Algebra 1 Project?
- Teaching Slides – display the material in class
- Warm-ups – provide a quick review on the math content needed to complete the project
- Exit Tickets – check for content understanding
- Student Recording Sheets – students can show their research steps and calculations
- Project Overview – detailed directions for ease of use, teacher lesson plans for each stage of the project
- Grading Rubric – streamline the grading process
How to use this resource:
- Use with partners or independently to complete as a semester-end project
- Use as an alternative semester assessment
- Grab the second semester Algebra 1 Project on Linear and Exponential Functions.
Materials and Time Requirement:
- This Linear Relationships Algebra 1 Project can be completed within 3-5 class days. Students will need access to a computer and internet to research the details of their vacation and create their blog post.
Looking for more Algebra 1 Material? Join our All Access Membership Community! You can reach your students without the “I still have to prep for tomorrow” stress, the constant overwhelm of teaching multiple preps, and the hamster wheel demands of creating your own teaching materials.
- Grade Level Curriculum
- Supplemental Digital Components
- Complete and Comprehensive Student Video Library
Licensing: This file is a license for ONE teacher and their students. Please purchase the appropriate number of licenses if you plan to use this resource with your team. Thank you!
Customer Service: If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out for assistance. We aim to provide quality resources to help teachers and students alike, so please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
If you are interested in a personalized quote for campus and district licenses, please click here.
©Maneuvering the Middle® LLC, 2012-present