In this 3-5 day Rational Numbers 7th Grade Project, students will use rational number operations to determine the cost of a road trip to a national park. Students will calculate the percent change in park attendance and gas prices over time to determine if changes in gas prices affect park attendance.
Standards: CCSS (7.NS.3, 7.RP.3) and TEKS (7.3B, 7.4D)
Students are travel blog writers for “On the Road Again”, a blog that highlights road trips across America. Students will write a series of short blog posts about a road trip to a national park using operations with rational numbers to determine the cost of the road trip. Students will calculate the percent change in park attendance and gas prices over time to determine if changes in gas prices affect park attendance.
This real-world rational numbers 7th grade project is intended to provide engaging opportunities for extension and application of skills. It can serve as an assessment of students’ understanding while encouraging inquiry and critical thinking among students. This project is flexible in nature and includes teaching slides, warm-ups, exit tickets, student recording sheets and a project overview to help you structure class time and implement project components as smoothly as possible.
What is included in THIS Rational Numbers 7th Grade Project?
- Teaching Slides – display the material in class
- Warm-ups – provide a quick review on the math content needed to complete the project
- Exit Tickets – check for content understanding
- Student Recording Sheets – students can show their research steps and calculations
- Project Overview – detailed directions for ease of use, teacher lesson plans for each stage of the project
- Grading Rubric – streamline the grading process
How to use this resource:
- Use with partners or independently to complete as a semester-end project
- Use as an alternative semester assessment
- Grab the second semester 7th Grade Project on Financial Literacy.
Materials and Time Requirement:
- This Rational Numbers 7th Grade Project can be completed within 3-5 class days. Students will need access to a computer and internet to research national parks, gas prices and write their series of blog posts.
Looking for more 7th Grade Material? Join our All Access Membership Community! You can reach your students without the “I still have to prep for tomorrow” stress, the constant overwhelm of teaching multiple preps, and the hamster wheel demands of creating your own teaching materials.
- Grade Level Curriculum
- Supplemental Digital Components
- Complete and Comprehensive Student Video Library
Licensing: This file is a license for ONE teacher and their students. Please purchase the appropriate number of licenses if you plan to use this resource with your team. Thank you!
Customer Service: If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out for assistance. We aim to provide quality resources to help teachers and students alike, so please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
If you are interested in a personalized quote for campus and district licenses, please click here.
©Maneuvering the Middle® LLC, 2012-present