In this 4-7 day Financial Literacy 8th Grade Project, students will research and understand the estimated cost of college and plan to save over time for college expenses.
Standards: CCSS (MP1, MP4) and TEKS (8.12G, 8.12C)
Students will take on the role of a financial advisor working for Scholarly Savers, a company that counsels families through various financial situations. Students will research the cost of colleges and create a savings plan for a fictional client.
This real-world Financial Literacy 8th Grade Project is intended to provide engaging opportunities for extension and application of skills. It can serve as an assessment of students’ understanding while encouraging inquiry and critical thinking among students. This project is flexible in nature and includes teaching slides, warm-ups, exit tickets, student recording sheets and a project overview to help you structure class time and implement project components as smoothly as possible.
What is included in THIS Financial Literacy 8th Grade Project?
- Teaching Slides – display the material in class
- Warm-ups – provide a quick review on the math content needed to complete the project
- Exit Tickets – check for content understanding
- Student Recording Sheets – students can show their research steps and calculations
- Project Overview – detailed directions for ease of use, teacher lesson plans for each stage of the project
- Grading Rubric – streamline the grading process
How to use this resource:
- Use with partners or independently to complete as a semester-end project
- Use as an alternative semester assessment
- Grab the first semester 8th Grade Project on Linear Relationships.
Materials and Time Requirement:
- This Financial Literacy 8th Grade Project can be completed within 4-7 class days. Students will need access to a computer and internet to research and create a portfolio on estimated expenses and financial aid opportunities for their client.
Looking for more 8th Grade Material? Join our All Access Membership Community! You can reach your students without the “I still have to prep for tomorrow” stress, the constant overwhelm of teaching multiple preps, and the hamster wheel demands of creating your own teaching materials.
- Grade Level Curriculum
- Supplemental Digital Components
- Complete and Comprehensive Student Video Library
Licensing: This file is a license for ONE teacher and their students. Please purchase the appropriate number of licenses if you plan to use this resource with your team. Thank you!
Customer Service: If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out for assistance. We aim to provide quality resources to help teachers and students alike, so please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
If you are interested in a personalized quote for campus and district licenses, please click here.
©Maneuvering the Middle® LLC, 2012-present